Digital Librarian: a librarian's choice of the best of the Web
Digital Librarian is maintained by
Margaret Vail Anderson, a librarian in Cortland, New York
What's the Sweet Spot for Buying International Airline Tickets? - By Scott McCartney, Wall Street Journal, June 28, 2012. "A major sale for fall travel often kicks in about the end of July or early August. The cheapest prices of the year are for travel in February, fare experts say, and those deals usually show up in November and early December."
Digital Librarian: Travel
Don't see the airline you need? Try AirlineNumbers.com, Airline Toll-Free Numbers and Websites, Yahoo! Airlines or
- Aer Lingus - 800-223-6537.
- Aerolineas Argentinas - 800-333-0276.
- Aeromexico - 800-237-6639.
- Air Canada - 800-630-3299.
- Air France - 800-237-2747.
- Air India - 800-223-7776.
- Air New Zealand
- AirTran Airways - 800-247-8726.
- Alaska Airlines - 800-426-0333.
- Alitalia - 800-223-5730.
- Allegiant Air - 800-432-3810. Offers non-stop flights to Orlando from Stewart International Airport near Newburgh, New York. Also offers flights from Elmira.
- American Trans Air (ATA) - Low-fare carrier with hub in Chicago.
- America West Airlines - 800-235-9292.
- American Airlines - 800-433-7300.
- ANA (All Nippon Airways) - 800-235-9262.
- Atlantic Southeast Airlines
- Austrian Airlines - 800-843-0002.
- BMI - &Award winning UK airline, providing cheap flights from the UK to Europe, Middle East and the USA.&
- British Airways - 800-247-9297.
- Cathay Pacific Airways - 800-233-2742. There's also a Cathay USA. They have an All Asia Pass which allows you to fly to up to 18 cities in 21 days..
- DayJet - Air taxi based in Boca Raton. See Taxis in the Sky by James Fallows, Atlantic Monthly, May 2008..
- Delta Air Lines - 800-221-1212.
- EasyJet - Low-cost European airline.
- Frontier Airlines - 800-432-1359.
- GoJet Airlines - "GoJet's United Express flights operate from United hubs at Chicago O'Hare, Denver and Washington Dulles Airports."
- Gulf Air - 888-359-4853.
- Hawaiian Airlines - 800-367-5320.
- Iberia Airlines - 800-772-4642.
- Icelandair - 800-223-5500.
- ImagineAir - (678-226-2329) "Personal, on-demand air-taxi service. Using next-generation aircraft, ImagineAir provides affordable air travel to the Southeast."
- Japan Airlines - 800-525-3663.
- JetBlue Airways - 800-538-2583. Low cost flights between New York, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, and Burlington (Vermont) and Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, Oakland (California), Ontario (California), Salt Lake City, and Denver. They have a Real-Time Flight Tracker and Online Flight Check-in.
- Linear Air - Air taxi operates in the Northeast.
- Lufthansa - 800-645-3880.
- Luxair (Luxembourg Airlines)
- Midwest Airlines - 800-452-2022.
- Northwest Airlines - 800-225-2525.
- Porter - Canadian regional airline with hub at Toronto City Centre Airport offers leather seats and complimentary beer and wine (416-619-8622 or 888-619-8622). Robert Deluce is CEO.
- Qantas - 800-227-4500. There is also a Quantas USA. They have an Aussie AirPass
- Ryanair - Low cost European airline. 800-365-5563.
- SAS - Scandinavian Airlines - 800-221-2350.
- Seaborne Airlines - San Juan, Vieques, St. Croix, St. Thomas, Virgin Gorda, Beef Island, Tortola
- Singapore Airlines - 800-742-3333.
- SkyEurope - Low cost European airline
- Southwest Airlines - 800-435-9792.
- Spirit Airlines - 800-772-7117. Low cost carrier charges for refreshments and checking luggage.
- Swiss International Air Lines - 877-359-7947.
- Ted - 800-241-6522. As in UniTed, low fare service introduced by United Airlines, with Denver hub.
- TAP - Air Portugal - 800-221-7370.
- Thai Air - 800-426-5204.
- United Airlines - 800-241-6522.
- US Airways - 800-428-4322.
- Virgin America - Flies primarily between California and New York. You can purchase meals and movies on board. (Boston, Fort Lauderdale, New York (JFK), Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orange County (CA), San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington DC).
- Virgin Atlantic Airways - 800-862-8621.
- WeFlyHome.com - Lufthansa division, targeted at immigrants in the U.S., has deeply discounted fares to over 300 destinations in over 90 countries.
- AirNav - Paulo Santos provides free detailed aeronautical information on airports and navigational aids in the USA, searchable and browsable by state.
- American Airlines: Gates, Times & Status
- British Airways: Arrivals and departures
- Google - Offers flight information by text message. Text Google (466453) and enter airline symbol with flight number. "To get flight information, enter the flight number to get gate times or the airline to get the phone number (ex: ua 14, united airlines)."
- Northwest Airlines: Flight and Gate Status
- QuickAID - Airport directory.
- Sidestep - Traveler's search engine.
- Stewart International Airport - Newburgh, New York. Airlines: Northwest (nonstop to Detroit hub), Delta (nonstop to Atlanta hub), Jetblue (nonstop to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale), US Airways Express (nonstop to Philadelphia hub).
- United Airlines Flight Status
- Virgin Atlantic: Flight Status
- Concern grows over pollution from jets - By Gary Stoller,
USA Today, December 19, 2006. "Aircraft emissions pollute the air and threaten by 2050 to become one of the largest contributors to global warming, British scientists have concluded."
- Going Green: Motivations for Environmental Commitment in the Airline Industry. A Case Study of Scandinavian Airlines - Abstract of article by Jennifer K. Lnyes and Dianne Dredge, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 2006, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p116-138, 23p.
- Jumbolair Aviation Estates - Ocala, Florida. See High flying lady: Jumbolair...from elephant lair to jumbo jet lair - by Grace Trofa, Altitudes Europe Magazine, No. 22, December/January, 2008/2009.
- AirlineNumbers.com - For Domestic (U.S.) and International airlines.
- Airline Toll-Free Numbers and Websites
- Légitársaság - Hungarian directory lists airlines by country.
- Yahoo! Airlines
- Best Fares
- Expert Flyer
- FlyerTalk - Online community shares tips about airlines.
- ITA Software
- Orbitz - Search 450 airlines for over 2 billion fares. Enter itinerary and you will be presented with a list of possible fares.
- Site 59
- Travel Web
- Yahoo Fare Chase
- Archive of Aviation History - Offered by Flight Global and described "as it appeared in the original pages of Flight Magazine from 1909-2005. Every issue of Flight Magazine published between 1909-2005, digitally scanned and fully searchable." You can also browse by year. Try searching for Sopwith Camel, British Spad, Rickenbacker, Red Baron (Baron Manfred Van Richthofen), Chuck Yeager. Examples:
- Looking Back: Evolutional Development and Improvisation the Characteristic Feature of 1943: Multiple Functions of Types - Flight Magazine, January 6, 1944. Has photographs and drawings of bombers.
- Captain Baron Von Richthofen Killed - Flight Magazine, April 25, 1918, p. 453. "According to the Times correspondent, Capt. Richthofen was flying a Fokker triplane, No. 2,009, with Le Rhone engines, made in Frankfurt in March, 1918."
- Airline Quality Rating - Created by Brent Bowen, University of Nebraska, and Dean E. Headley, Wichita State University. Based on statistics from the U. S. Department of Transportion.
- AirSafe.com - Todd Curtis provides safety information for the airline passenger.
- Aviation Consumer Protection Page - U.S. Department of Transportation site offers reports on mishandled baggage, flight delays, consumer complaints. Travel Tips offers publications on a number of consumer issues including frequent flyer programs, baggage, disabilities and air fares.
- Aviation Digital Data Services (ADDS) - Federal Aviation Administration site provides comprehensive user-friendly aviation weather graphics including icing, turbulence, and convection.
- Aviation Safety Statistics
- Avoid Delays
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics - U. S. Department of Transportation site offers:
- Rural Airports
- Sources of Air Carrier Aviation Data
- On-Time Statistics
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) - Provides information on Flight Arrivals and Aviation Safety.
- Federal Aviation Administration Regulatory Support Division, AFS-600
- Flyertalk - "Frequent Flyer community."
- Medaire - "Remote medical care and travel security."
- National Transportation Safety Board
- Skytrax: Airline Quality - "Airline and Airport Passenger opinions, with more than 480 airlines and 525 airports featured in our Passenger Forum sections."
- Transportation Security Administration
- Prohibited Items
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- Aviation and International Affairs office publishes a
Domestic Airline Fares Consumer Report
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics
- Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA) - See Airlines and Airports and Rural Airports
Last updated 4 July 2012
Copyright © 1996-2012. Digital Librarian: A Librarian's Choice of the Best of the Web. All rights reserved. May not be copied or mirrored without written permission.