Digital Librarian: a librarian's choice of the best of the web
Digital Librarian is maintained by
Margaret Vail Anderson, a librarian in Cortland, New York
Internet Subject Directories
- About.com - Subject directory, with 'human guides' , formerly known as the Mining Company.
- Academic Info: Educational Subject Directory - Created by Mike Madin, a librarian in Seattle
- Apple Learning Interchange Learning Resources - "Safe and relevant pieces of information carefully selected and cataloged by educators then organized by type, subject and learning level for you to access easily."
- Best Information on the Net - Chosen by the librarians at O'Keefe Library, St. Ambrose University, Davenport, Iowa.
- Barbara's News Researcher's Pages - Barbara Gellis Shapiro, Palm Beach Post
- BUBL Information Service, - Selected Internet resources covering all academic subject areas from Strathclyde University, Glascow, Scotland.
- Canadian Information by Subject - National Library of Canada
- College & Research Library News - A publication of the Association of College & Research Libraries, they offer monthly columns on Internet Resources.
- CyberTimes Navigator - Selective guide to the Internet assembled by Rick Meislin for the New York Times newsroom. (See also Business Connections, Political Navigator and Health Navigator.
- Doe-Moffitt Libraries - Subject Guides, University of California, Berkeley
- Dutch Electronic Subject Service (DutchESS) - "Internet Guide for the academic community produced by the Koninklijke Bibliotheek in cooperation with a number of Dutch academic libraries." The service was online from 1997 until 2007.
- Dutch Web Index
- E-Guides - Columbia University Libraries
- Educator's Reference Desk - Created by the Information Institute of Syracuse, the site offers "2,000+ lesson plans, 3,000+ links to online education information, and 200+ question archive responses."
- English Server: Assessible Online Publishing - Based at the University of Washington
- GEM - Gateway to 21st Century Skills - "Consortium effort to provide teachers with quality materials and tools found on federal, state, university, non-profit and commercial Internet Sites."
- Guide des sites pour Managers - Website Guides for Managers. Association des Anciens Elèves de l'IAE de Paris (AAE IAE)
- Infomine: Scholarly Internet Resource Collections - Annotated links to over 22,000 librarian-selected scholarly and educational Internet resources.
- Internet Encyclopedia - Cliff Davis and Margaret Adamson Fincannon
- Internet Library for Librarians - Vianne Tang Sha's "comprehensive Web database designed to provide a one-stop shopping center for librarians to locate Internet resources related to their profession."
- Internet Public Library Reference Center - There is also a Ready Reference Collection and a collection of Pathfinder Guides.
- Intute - "Intute is a free online service providing you with access to the very best Web resources for education and research. The service is created by a network of UK universities and partners. Subject specialists select and evaluate the websites in our database and write high quality descriptions of the resources."
- Invisible Web - Chris Sherman and Gary Price
- Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators - Categorized list of sites on the Internet found to be useful for enhancing curriculum and teacher professional growth.
- Librarians' Index to the Internet - Searchable subject guide (formerly Berkeley Public Library's Index to the Internet)
- LibraryHQ.com - "Resources for the Wired Librarian." (For more see Marshall Breeding's LibraryHQ.com Debuts as a Portal for Librarians in Information Today's NewsBreaks.
- LookSmart - Reader's Digest
- MavicaNET: Multilingual Search Catalog
- MERLOT: Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Online Teaching - "Free and open resource designed primarily for faculty and students in higher education. With a continually growing collection of online learning materials, peer reviews and assignments, MERLOT helps faculty enhance instruction."
- Michigan Electronic Library
- Open Directory Project - "Open content web directory to harness the knowledge and creativity of 'volunteer editors' empowering consumers to find the information they need quickly and easily."
- PINAKES: A Subject Launchpad - Dave Bond and Roddy MacLeod
- Portico: Web Resources for Advancement Professionals
- Refdesk.com - Bob Drudge
- Renardus - European Union
- Resource Discovery Network
- Resources for Economists on the Internet (rfe - Bill Goffe, Dept. of Economics, SUNY Oswego
- Scout Report
- Resource Discovery Network - "Provides access to a series of Internet resource catalogues containing descriptions of high quality Internet sites, selected and described by specialists from within UK academia and affiliated organisations. Value-added services such as interactive web tutorials and alerting services are also provided to enable users to make more of their time on the Internet." Their Virtual Training Suite is "a set of online tutorials designed to help students, lecturers and researchers improve their Internet information skill."
- Jensen's Scholars' Guide to Humanities & Social Sciences - Richard Jensen
- Les Signets de la Bibliothèque nationale de France
- Les signets des bibliothèques universitaires - Accès thématique aux sélections de sites web réalisées par les bibliothèques universitaires françaises.
- SOSIG: Social Science Information Gateway
- Suite101.com - "Community based best of web guide"
- University of Iowa Libraries: Gateway to Online Resources
- University of Virginia Library - Internet Reference Sources
- WWW Virtual Library - Oldest catalog of the web, started by Tim Berners-Lee, it is run by a loose confederation of volunteers, who compile pages of key links for particular areas in which they are expert. Has a What's New section.
- Yale University Library - Research Guides by Subject
Last updated 16 August 2007.
Copyright © 1996-2007 Digital Librarian: A Librarian's Choice of the Best of the Web. All rights reserved. May not be copied or mirrored without written permission.