Marine and Aquatic Sciences |
Last updated 25 April 2008
- AccuWeather - Enter any U.S. zipcode for a 5-day forecast, radar and satellite images.
- Almanac.com - "The Old Farmer's Almanac"
- American Meteorological Society - Provides full-text access to their Newsletter from 1996 to July 2003.
- Australian Antarctic Division
- Aviation Digital Data Services (ADDS) - Federal Aviation Administration site provides comprehensive user-friendly aviation weather graphics including icing, turbulence, and convection.
- BUBL Information Service - Annotated subject directory has sections for Weather, Meteorology and Climatology
- Canadian Ice Service - "Providing reliable and timely information about ice and iceberg conditions in Canadian waters."
- Center for Severe Weather Research - University of Oklahoma.
- Climate Prediction Center - National Weather Serivce mission is to maintain a continuous watch on short-term climate fluctuations and to diagnose and predict them.
- CNN Weather
- Global Hydrology and Climate Center (GHCC) - "Joint venture between government and academia to study the global water cycle and its effect on climate."
- Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) - "Worldwide network of students, teachers, and scientists working together to study and understand the global environment. GLOBE students and teachers from over 5000 schools in more than 70 countries are working with research scientists to learn more about our planet. students make environmental observations at or near their schools and report their data through the Internet." (NOAA/Forecast Systems Laboratory in Boulder, Colorado.)
- Green Lane: Your Window on the Weather - Canadian weather, by region. (Environment Canada).
- Hurricane Hunters - 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, Air Force Reserve flies planes into the center of tropical storms and hurricanes to gather data.
- Intellicast Weather
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - "Scientific intergovernmental body set up by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)."
- Mariners Weather Log - "Publication of the National Weather Service (NWS), contains articles, news and information about marine weather events and phenomena, storms at sea, weather forecasting, the NWS Voluntary Observing Ship (VOS) Program, Port Meteorological Officers (PMOs), cooperating ships officers, and their vessels.
The MWL provides meteorological information to the maritime community, and contains a comprehensive chronicle on marine weather. Through the MWL, the VOS program recognizes ships officers for their efforts as voluntary weather observers, and allows the NWS to maintain contact and communicate with over 10,000 shipboard observers (ships' officers) in the merchant marine, NOAA Corps, Coast Guard, Navy, etc."
- Meteo France - French weather site
- Meteorological Service of Canada - Source of National Climate Data and Weather Forecasts.
- Mount Washington Observatory - "Private, non-profit, membership organization. It was created in 1932 to observe and record the extreme weather conditions of Mount Washington." With a live view from the summit.
- National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
- National Climatic Data Center - "World's largest active archive of weather data." Provides a feature which enables you to graph and download data from from the archive. There is an Online Document Library.
- National Data Buoy Center - "Premiere source of meteorological and oceanographic measurements for the marine environment," the site provides access to dozens of electronic coastal observation buoys with real-time data on wind speed, air and water temperature and wave height.
- National Hurricane Center - Real-time-conditions reporting system.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - Highlights include access to the Library, and the NOAA Online Photo Collection which has over 10,000 digitized images of marine life, weather phenomenon, instrumentation, ships, ocean scenes and other historical collections. Their Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL) has a Global Monitoring Division measures "carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, methane, nitrous oxide, surface and stratospheric ozone, halogenated compounds including CFC replacements, hydrocarbons, sulfur gases, aerosols, and solar and infrared radiation" at "sites spanning the globe".
Another valuable resource is WINDandSEA: Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences Internet Locator which provides links to "over 800 selected sites that include government science agencies, educational institutions, professional organizations, and commercial organizations that have information relevant to the oceanic, atmospheric, and marine biological sciences."
- National Snow and Ice Data Center - Center at the University of Colorado, Boulder archives analogue and digital snow and ice data, creates and distributes data products, and maintains a large library collection in support of snow and ice research.
- National Water and Climate Center - Part of the Natural Resources Conservation Service, which is an agency of the US Department of Agriculture.
- National Weather Service - Has an Internet Weather Source page where you can search by region, an Interactive Weather Information page, a Daily Streamflow Conditions Map which tracks drought (& flood conditions) in the US, and an Emergency Managers Weather Information Network. There is an International Tsunami Information Center and a searchable Library catalog.
- New York Times: Weather
- NOAA Weather Radio - With Nationwide Station Listing
- NOAA Paleoclimatology Program - "Operates the World Data Center for Paleoclimatology and the Applied Research Center for Paleoclimatology, with the goal to provide data and information scientists need to understand natural climate variability as well as future climate change."
- Ozone Hole Tour - Centre for Atmospheric Science, University of Cambridge.
- Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) - Ewa Beach, Hawai`i. See also International Coordination Group for the Tsunami Warning Center in the Pacific
- Severe Thunderstorm Events - NOAA Storm Prediction Center
- SnowSource - Resource for skiers
- Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) - Global leader in the analysis and distribution of geostationary satellite data. This page presents browse-quality pictures intended solely for qualitative analysis of global weather. For example, there is the Latest global montage with land & sea temperature.
- Storm Chaser Homepage - Created by meteorologist Gilbert L. Sebenste.
- UM Weather - University of Michigan
- U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center - Marine weather
- USA Today Weather
- Washington Post: Weather - Provides provides current conditions and four-day forecasts for 3,600 cities worldwide. There are National and International forecasts. They also have a searchable Historical Weather Database.
- Weather Channel
- Weather Information Superhighway - National Weather Service located in Tallahassee, Florida provides a "comprehensive collection of the meteorological data, information, and image sites around the globe."
- Weather Underground - Find the weather for any city, state, zipcode, or country.
- World Climate - Searchable climate data for over 4500 locations
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- WxUSA - Weather links for over 1295 U.S. cities.
- Yahoo! Weather