Digital Librarian: a librarian's choice of the best of the Web
Digital Librarian is maintained by
Margaret Vail Anderson, a librarian in Cortland, New York
Web Page Design
- Cover Pages - "Comprehensive, online reference collection supporting the XML family of markup language standards, XML vocabularies, and related structured information standards. Edited by Robin Cover since 1986, this public access knowledgebase promotes and enables the use of open, interoperable, standards-based solutions which protect digital information and enhance the quality of data processing."
- David Siegel
- Guidelines for Editors of Scholarly Editions with Guiding Questions for Vettors, a Glossary, and an Annotated Bibliography - Modern Language Association's Committee on Scholarly Editions, September 17, 2003.
- HTML Code Tutorial
- HTML Goodies
- HTML Tidy - Source Forge's free utility for cleaning up html is recommended by W3C (World Wide Web Consortium). They also refer to
WDG HTML Validator and
W3C CSS Validation Service.
- Information Architects Institute
- A List Apart - "Weekly magazine and daily discussion list for people who make websites.
- Matt's Script Archive
- MSDN Online Web Workshop - Microsoft site "provides the latest information about Internet technologies, including reference material and in-depth articles on all aspects of Web site design and development." MSDN Code Search Preview "offers the ability to search for code snippets within the MSDN Library. It’s easy to find quick references and example code snippets for specific class definitions, function definitions or function calls — and once you find the result(s) you’re looking for, you can create a unique URL to bookmark or send through e-mail."
- Network Solutions - Register web address or search for a domain name in their database of Internet domain registrations. Type in domain name and find technical locating information, as well as a contact name, telephone number, and billing address of the company or person who owns the domain name.
- P22 Type Foundry - "Unique selection of unique fonts for the designer in search of that font that no one else has."
- Paris-Web - "Francophone conference focusing on web accessibility, quality and design. It is held in Paris on October 8, 9 and 10. Speakers include Daniel Glazman, Molly Holzschlag, Tristan Nitot, Karl Dubost and Nicole Sullivan." (W3C)
- Quality Web Content - "88 articles on writing web content and intranet content" by Rachel McAlpine.
- Scripting News - Dave Winer's software industry news site covers website management, server operations and human features relating to free speech, music and the creative side of website management.
- Smashing Magazine
- The Z-Index CSS Property: A Comprehensive Look - By Louis Lazaris, Smashing Magazine, September 15th, 2009.
- Stephen's Lighthouse - Stephen Abram, SirsiDynix's Vice President of Innovation.
- Streaming Media and Consumers - September 30, 2009
- University and College Designers Association - Has Annual Design Competition
- useit.com - Jakob Nielsen
- Web4Lib Electronic Discussion - "Electronic discussion for library-based World-Wide Web managers."
- Web Developer
- Web Developer's Virtual Library
- Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites - Unabridged, online version of the third edition by Patrick J. Lynch and Sarah Horton. See Contents.
- Webreference: The Webmaster's Reference Library - Web site design tips and tutorials
- World Wide Web Consortium
- HTML 5
- WC3 Link Checker
- Technical Reports and Publications
- Cascading Style Sheets
- Cascading Style Sheet Validation Service
- Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0
- W3C Markup Validation Service
- Writing for the Web: A Primer for Librarians - Eric H. Schnell, Prior Health Sciences Library, Ohio State University.
Last updated 29 September 2009
All links on this page were checked 'by hand' on 29 September 2009
Copyright © 1996-2009. Digital Librarian: A Librarian's Choice of the Best of the Web. All rights reserved. May not be copied or mirrored without written permission.