Digital Librarian: a librarian's choice of the best of the web
Digital Librarian is maintained by
Margaret Vail Anderson, a librarian in Cortland, New York
Yurts, Tipis & Tents
- Archnet: Images - "Online community for architects, planners, urban designers, landscape architects, and scholars, with a special focus on the Islamic world." There is a Digital Library. A search for yurt retrieves a 6 page article on the The Kazak Yurt.
(Other keywords to search for: indigenous, vernacular, traditional building, tent, ger)
- Articles - Recent news articles about yurts:
- Is a Yurt for You? Local resort features nomadic-styled accommodations - By Maureen Nolan, Syracuse Post Standard, November 16, 2006. Describes the yurts at Salmon Hills Outdoor Adventure Center .
- Central Europe: Nomadic Dwelling Makes Its Way West - By Jeremy Bransten, Radio Free Europe, November 28, 2006. Includes video.
- Camping out in the rain - with a roof - Register-Guard [Eugene, Oregon], November 17, 2006
- Foster pitches yurt in Borat's back yard - By Robert Booth, London Times, December 10, 2006.
"Nursultan Nazarbayev, dictator of the former Soviet republic, has commissioned Lord Foster, architect of the new Wembley stadium, to build a leisure complex inspired by the nomadic tent of Genghis Khan."
- What to do if you want to buy a yurt:
Nontraditional homes might require a bit of lending research - By Bob Tedeschi, New York Times, December 10, 2006.
- Keweenaw approves zoning: Definition of yurts last item discussed - By Kurt Hauglie, Mining Gazette [Eagle River, Michigan], December 15, 2006.
- Bear Lake Yurt - Idaho State University Outdoor Program
- Big Sur's Eloquent Silence - By Bonnie Tsui, New York Times, February 24, 2006. Describes the Treebones Resort which has 16 yurts.
- Books: titles from Amazon.com with information on yurts and tipis include:
- Complete Yurt Handbook - By Paul King, Eco-Logic Books, 2002.
- Circle Houses: Yurts, Tipis and Benders - By David Pearson, Chelsea Green Publishing Company, 2001.
- Building Tipis and Yurts: Authentic Designs for Circular Shelters - By Blue Evening Star, Sterling, 1999.
- The Indian Tipi: Its History, Construction, and Use - By Gladys Laubin, Stanley Vestal, Reginald Laubin, University of Oklahoma Press, 1989.
- Home Work: Handbuilt Shelter - By Lloyd Kahn, Shelter Publications, 2004.
- Mongolian Cloud Houses : How to Make a Yurt and Live Comfortably - By Dan Frank Kuehn, Shelter Publications, 2006. See Dan Frank Kuehn and Mongolian Cloud Houses.
- Portable Houses - By Irene Rawlings, Gibbs Smith, 2004.
- Yurts: Living in the Round - By Becky Kemery, Gibbs Smith, 2006.
- To locate out-of-print titles try BookFinder, Bibliofind and Advanced Book Exchange. Out-of-print yurt titles include:
Build a yurt; the low-cost Mongolian round house, by Len Charney, New York, Macmillan , ISBN: 0025239805 (also published by Collier Books in 1974, ISBN:0020793200) and
Yurt yet: a collection of Bowdoinham, Maine, colonists, assembled by Charles J. Stanley, Pittore Euforico, 1979.
- Braintan.com - See buffalo hides tipis.
- Bushwhacker: Tents
- Camping Le Viaduc - Gorges du Doux, Ardèche, France. You can Habiter une Yourte
- Can't Settle Down? A Light, Transportable Yurt for Today's Nomad - By Tim McKeough, New York Times, May 3, 2007 (Currents: On the Move)
- Cedar House Inn and Yurts - Dahlonega, Georgia
- Chuck Hoberman - Inventor and President of Hoberman Associates of New York. Hoberman, at the request of Johnson Outdoors, developed the Rapidly Deployable Structure (RDS), a 500 square foot tent designed for military use which can be set up in three minutes. The tent was selected to appear in the Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum's Design Life Now National Design Triennial 2006.
See entry for Hoberman Associates and hear podcast. See also The Future Tents by David J. Craig, Columbia Magazine, Spring 2006.
- Club Florida Yurt - Sunbeam Oasis Yurt near the Santa Fe River, Gilchrist County, Florida.
- Colorado Yurt Company - Montrose, Colorado, company sells yurts, tipis and tents.
- Construction of a Yurt - By Ellisif Fkakkari (Monica Cellio)
- Corbis - A search for yurt or ger retrieves over 30 images. Also try Google Image Search
- Cuckoo Down Farm Yurts - Ottery St Mary, Devon, UK. "Our 18 ft diameter yurts are beautifully furnished with double beds, carpets, rugs, cushions and sofas. Each has its own loo and kitchen. There’s a proper bathroom with hot showers just a short walk away. We’re close to the lovely seaside towns and villages of Sidmouth, Beer and Branscombe and the stunning countryside of East Devon."
We’re just a three hour drive from London and Birmingham, easy to find just off the A303 and the end of the M5.
- Don Strinz Tipi - Milford, Nebraska
- Douglas Lake Ranch: Yurt - British Columbia
- Dreaming Buffalo Tipi Co - Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Eureka Tents
- A Genuine Yurt, Yours for Only $2,000 and Two Friends - Neva Dail Bridges, Outside Online.
- Falling Waters Yurt Village - Located at the Eastern gateway of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. (Yurt # 8 overlooks the Nantahala Gorge.)
- F.O. Berg Wall Tents - Spokane, Washington
- Fabricon - Missoula, Montana
- The Farm - Summertown, Tennessee
- FindArticles.com - Free online article-search service allows you to search for (and read) articles published over the last 1 to 2 years in more than 300 reputable magazines and journals. You can view publications by subject or by name.
- Finding Loans for Yurts or Prefabs -By Bob Tedeschi, New York Times, November 26, 2006. "He advised clients never to refer to their houses as yurts. “If you just tell a bank’s appraisers an architect designed it,” he said, “they’re fine.”
- Flickr: Yurts - Over 2,000 photos of yurts. Look for the images of UlaanBaatar in Mongolia. (Ger "hood" by EpikaNic).
- Full Moon Creations - Polson, Montana
- Great American Yurts
- How to Assemble a Hexayurt - YouTube (24:12)
- Huts and Yurts for Backcountry Skiing - David Eyre.
- In Utah, a Yurt Worth Falling For - By Amber Older, The Washington Post, Sunday, January 3, 1999.
- Information on Felt Tents, Yurts, Gers
- Jessop Yurt - Home of the Zip Yurt made by Mike Jessop, 3 Lewesdon Close, Beaminster, Dorset, UK, DT8 3DE, Jessop.firstname.lastname@example.org (Tel 01308 863484). "Jessop has patented the Zip-Yurt, a cleverly constructed tent, that, like a ship in a bottle, springs up with the tug of a rope, metamorphosing from something flat into a fully formed dwelling." (Nduara Loliondo: A Safari Camp on the Serengeti Plain Pays Homage to Nomadic Life by Penelope Rowlands, Architectural Digest, April, 2008, with slide show).
- Keeping Life Simple at a New Mexico Yurt - By Louise Tutelian, New York Times, October 13, 2006. "He paid $15,000 in 2004 for a model from the Colorado Yurt Company (www.coloradoyurt.com) measuring 30 feet in diameter. It included a door and eight windows, complete with sewn-in fiberglass screening and storm windows of clear vinyl that attach to the outside with Velcro-like material. While it was being fabricated in Colorado, Mr. Franklin hired a neighbor and carpenter, Doug Fields, to build a 40-by-44-foot pine deck where the yurt would sit."
- Lars' Yurt Page - K. Lars Lohn describes the construction of his yurt and provides photographs of the various stages in the process
- Living in the Round - Damon Darlin, New York Times, Key, Fall, 2006 (September 10, 2006), p. 68.
- Luren Jennison - Photos of the October 2006 yurt installation, One Wall Is An Edge, at Black Floor Gallery in Philadelphia.
- Mark Harris's Yurt File
- Fort McPherson Tent & Canvas - Fort McPherson, Northwest Territories, Canada
- Medieval Pavilion Resources - Has a sections on Yurts/Gers and Tibetan and Yurts/Gers.
- Mingei International Museum - San Diego. Site of a 1997 exhibition, Yurta: a Central Asian Nomad's Hearth and Home, curated by Martha Longenecker, which featured a ceremonial white yurt from Kyrgyzstan. The "exhibition focuses on the nomadic folk traditions of the Kyrgyz, one of the world's most ancient peoples. Centerpiece of the exhibition is an extraordinarily beautiful Kyrgyz yurta, a round, domed, tent-like dwelling. First-prize winner in a 1995 Kyrgyz national competition, this yurta was five years in design and construction. Patterned screens, made of thin reed stems wrapped in colored wool, are used for covering the lacquered-latticed walls of the structure, as well as for room dividers. Colorful, felted wool rugs and braided tassels contribute to the visual impact of the structure. Mekenbek Osmonaliyev and his family, designers and makers of the yurta, journeyed to San Diego to erect the 22-foot diameter dwelling. Mekenbek and a translator returned at the exhibition's close to strike the yurta. Included in the exhibition is the Sommer/Krieger collection of rare Kyrgyz reed screens." Christy Walton of the Wal-Mart Walton family now owns the yurt. The Museum store offers Yurta: a Central Asian Nomad's Hearth and Home (1999), a 14 minute video based on the exhibition, for $19.95. See also November/December 1997 issue (vol. 24, p.8) of Fiberarts Magazine with the story, Kyrgyz yurta: Central Asia's Portable art, by Jacqueline Ruyak. It has interior and exterior shots of yurta.
- Mongolian Artisans' Aid Foundation
- Mongolian Felt Tent - Originally developed by Dynamic Diagrams in 1995 as part of Mongolia: the Legacy of Chinggis Khan, an exhibition of art from Mongolia organized by the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco. With Quicktime Videos.
- Natural Building Resources - Straw-bale construction, cob, adobe, bamboo and a variety of other techniques.
- Never Summer Nordic - Fort Collins, Colorado. Has Yurt Stories and Photos.
- New Life on the Rio Grande - Lisa Mower's account of the construction of her yurt in northern New Mexico includes many useful details. (From the August/September issue of Mother Earth News.)
- Nomad Shelter - Makers of Arctic Ger and other yurts made to withstand snow and high winds
- Nomad Yurt - Ecoshack
- Nomade Lodge - Located 45 k southeast of Paris.
- Nomad Tanzania - Their Nduara Loliondo safari camp consists of movable yurts. See "Nduara Loliondo: A Safari Camp on the Serengeti Plain Pays Homage to Nomadic Life by Penelope Rowlands, Architectural Digest, April, 2008, with slide show. Chris Payne and Emma Campbell designed the interiors. "Jessop has patented the Zip-Yurt, a cleverly constructed tent, that, like a ship in a bottle, springs up with the tug of a rope, metamorphosing from something flat into a fully formed dwelling."
- Nomadics Tipi Makers - Bend, Oregon
- On the Antiquity of the Yurt: Evidence from Arjan and Elsewhere - David Stronach, Silkroad Foundation Newsletter, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2004.
- Oregon Yurtworks - Eugene, Oregon. Founded by Morgan Reiter.
- Outlaws on an upscale road by Geneen Marie Haugen, High Country News, November 6, 2000. " In Kelly [Wyoming] there persists a community of 14 yurts, "grandfathered" under current county regulations." 'Yurtville' is surrounded by Grand Teton National Park.
- Pacific Yurts - Owned by Alan Bair and located in Cottage Grove, Oregon. "Established in 1978, Pacific Yurts, Inc. is the original manufacturer of the modern lattice wall yurt and has won numerous U.S. and international awards for innovation in design and customer service."
- Panther Primitives - Reproduction tents for historical re-enactors
- Parks with Yurts
- Arizona State Parks - There is a yurt in Lyman Lake State Park
- Algonquin Provincial Park - Ontario, Canada, has eight yurts.
- Arkansas State Parks - DeGray Lake Resort State Park has one yurt.
- British Columbia Parks - There are yurts in Porteau Cove, Alice Lake, Kikomun Park, Kekuli Bay, Island 22, Wasa Lake, and Halcyon Hotsprings.
- California State Parks - There are yurts at Sugarloaf Ridge, Folsom Lake, Samuel P. Taylor, Brannan Island, Mount Diablo, South Carlsbad, San Elijo, Palomar Mountain,
- Colorado State Parks and Outdoor Recreation - Mancos, Pearl Lake and Ridgway have yurts to rent.
- Deleware State Park - Lums Pond State Park and Trap Pond State Park
- Florida State Parks - Torreya State Park has one "large YURT (Year-round Universal Recreational Tent) available for reservation. Torreya's yurt is a 20-foot round, domed tent with flooring, electricity, lockable wooden door, and three large windows with screens and flaps that open and close. Features of the yurt include air conditioning/heating, skylight, futon with bunk twin bed on top, queen-size bed, table and chairs, leisure deck. The yurt sleeps 5."
- Georgia State Parks -
Bobby Brown State Park has five yurts and
Red Top Mountain has one yurt.
- Hawaii State Parks - Malaekahana State Park has yurts
- Snohomish County Park - Washington
- McIntosh Woods State Park - Iowa
- Idaho State Parks - Has yurts in Ponderosa, Winchester Lake, and Harriman.
- Maryland - Deep Creek Lake State Park has one yurt.
- Massachusettes State Parks - There are three parks with yurts: Nickerson, Shawme-Crowell State Forest and Otter River State Forest.
- Missouri State Parks - There is a yurt in Lake of the Ozarks State Park
- Nevada State Parks - There is a yurt in Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historic Park in Ely.
- New Jersey State Parks - Smartswood State Park hs six yurts, Allaire State Park has four yurts.
- Oregon State Parks - There are rustic cabins and yurts in many Oregon state parks.
See also Deluxe Yurts and Cabins
- Pennsylvania State Parks - Has yurts in
Little Pine, and
Shawnee State Parks.
- Virginia State Parks - There is a yurt in Kiptopeke State Park
- Washington State Parks - See yurts. Yurts, cabins and rustic shelters. "Cape Disappointment State Park (in Ilwaco) and Grayland Beach have hardwood floors, electricity, screen windows and a skylight, all enclosed in light-colored canvas with a locking door.
Specifications: Yurts measure 16 feet in diameter by 10 feet high and are furnished with bunk beds that sleep three, queen-size futon, floor lamp, small end table and heater. Outside are deck (ADA-compliant), picnic table, fire grill and utility hookup, with bathrooms and showers nearby."
- British Columbia Park Yurts - Has yurts in Ellison Provincial Park, Fintry Provincial Park, Kikomun Provincial Park, Okanagan Lake Provincial Park, and Wells Gray Provincial Park.
- Manitora Provincial Parks - Has yurts in Nutimik Provincial Park and Spruce Woods Provincial Park .
- Ontario Provincial Park Yurts
- Algonquin Yurts - Located in Algonquin Provincial Park, Whitney, Ontario
- Bon Echo Yurts - Located in Bon Echo Provincial Park, Cloyne, Ontario
- Bronte Creek Yurts - Located in Bronte Creek Provincial Park, Oakville, Ontario
- Killarney Yurts - Located in Killarney Provincial Park , Killarney, Ontario
- MacGregor Point Yurts - Located in MacGregor Point Provincial Park, Port Elgin, Ontario
- Pancake Bay Yurts - Located in Pancake Bay Provincial Park, Batchawana Bay, Ontario
- Pinery Yurts - Located in Pinery Provincial Park, Grand Bend, Ontario
- Quetico Yurts - Located in Quetico Provincial Park, Atikokan, Ontario
- Silent Lake Yurts - Located in Silent Lake Provincial Park, Bancroft, Ontario
- R. K. Lodges - Tipis, tents, leantos. Located in Hector, Minnesota.
- Ranier Yurts
- Real Goods
- Redhawk Trading - Malad, Idaho. Makers of the World's largest teepee. They also make tents.
- Red Sky Shelters
- Reese Tipis - Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Reliable Tents & Tipis Online Catalogue - Billings, Montana
- Salmon Hills - Cross country ski resort in Redfield, New York, has a yurt village for overnight stays.
- Shelter Systems - Menlo Park, California company sells geodesic domes, greenhouses, tents and yurts. With Site Index.
- Simply Differently - René K. Müller. "Temporary buildings: studying, planning, building and living in." Has information on yurts.
- Sky Riverhaven - Near Gold Bar, Washington. Yurt treehouse has view of Skykomish River.
- Snowtrekker Tents - Solon Springs, Wisconsin
- Southwest Nordic Center - Taos, New Mexico. "Has four yurts near the southeastern end of the San Juan Wilderness, by Cumbres Pass."
- Spring Valley Lodges - Brodhead, Wisconsin
- Sweetwater Bungalows - Sonoma County, California, firm sells platform tents (canvas cabins).
- Tall Pines Yurt - Boundary Country Trekking, Grand Marais, Minnesota.
- Tentsmiths - Conway, New Hampshire
- Thunder Mountain Tent & Canvas - Nampa, Idaho
- Tipis Tepees Teepees
- Topridge Overlook at Island Bridge - Available for summer rental in Paul Smiths, New York (Adirondack Mountains). (518-327-3470)
- Trapline Lodges - Butte, Montana, firm sells tipis and tents
- Utah State University Outdoor Program - "We have a yurt four miles up Blind Hollow in Logan Canyon," Langenheim said. She said that although the location is remote, the yurt, a dome-shaped enclosure which can sleep up to eight people, is far from roughing-it. "It's modeled after a Mongol hut, except ours is a little nicer. You just put a little wood in the stove, and it's nice and warm." See ORC and Powder Ridge Ski Touring Yurt Rentals.
- Vermont Yurt Works - Bill Reuther, PO Box 131 Pittsford VT 05763 Phone: 802-747-1222 Fax: 802-483-2457
- Vishai Foundation - Laura Burkhalter and William Ki. See Living in the Round - By Damon Darlin, New York Times,September 10, 2006.
- Vital Designs (aka Yurt People) - Company owned by David Raitt, of Talmage, California. There's a page describing the company's history. (Raitt is also a musician in the New Mendocino All-Stars.)
- Western Canvas Handmade Tipis - Cody, Wyoming
- White Buffalo Lodges - Livingston, Montana
- Winter Caravan to the Roof of the World by Sabrina and Roland Michaud, p. 435-465, National Geographic, April, 1972. (Kirghiz nomad camps in the Little Pamir)
- Woodland Yurts - Clevedon, North Somerset, UK
- Wyoming Tent & Awning - Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Yourte.com - French site provides links to over forty Yourte and breakfast by region.
- Yurt Construction in Mongolia - c1950. Anonymous filmmaker. [1 videocassette, silent, b&w, 15 mins., 1/2" VHS] In the Rotch Visual Collections of Films, Videodiscs & Videotapes Collection on Building Technology at MIT.
- Yurt Foundation - Although it does not have a website, you can write to William Coperthwaite, Dickensons Reach, Yurt Foundation, Bucks Harbour, Machiasport, Maine, 04618. You can read about Coperthwaite at the Yurt People site.
- Yurt Quest: In Search of Ger - "An attempt to collect information on how to build a ger." Has a Yurt FAQ page, and links to other resources.
- Yurtco - Burnaby, BC, Canada
- Yurtworks - Bradfordville, New South Wales, Australia.
With a useful photo-essary on Erecting your Yurt - Step by Step.
- Yurt Years - Photographs of Ozarks Mountains yurt. See Yurt Years FAQs
Last updated 18 June 2009
Copyright © 1996-2009. Digital Librarian: A Librarian's Choice of the Best of the Web. All rights reserved. May not be copied or mirrored without written permission.